Welcome to all new members, whether competitive or social, we hope you will enjoy all the Gig Club has to offer.
A club is only as strong as its membership, and it is the intention of the Lyme Regis Gig Club to make membership available to all, whether they be Social or Rowing members. However, with nearly 200 members, organising rowing schedules, gym workouts, gig maintenance, coxing duties, painting the gig shed, running fundraisers etc is an enormous amount of work, all done on a voluntary basis.
Therefore, all members will be required, if asked, to give of some of their time each year to help with the smooth running of the club. Nothing too onerous but as the saying goes, many hands ...
Lyme Regis Gig Club offers six catagories of membership:
- Adult rower 21 years of age and older @ £80.00pa
- Part year adult membership - 6 months (from 1st October to 31st March) @ £40.00 or 3 months (from 1st January to 31st March) £20.00
- Cornish Pilot Gig Association visiting member only @ £10.00pa
- Social member - Non Rower @ £20.00pa
- Junior rower between 12 and 20 years of age @ £20.00pa
- Sea Skiff rower between 8 and 12 years of age @ £10.00pa
Membership runs from April 1st to March 31st. There is an additional £15.00 'one off' joining administration charge for all adult rowers; if your membership lapses you will need to pay this again. Each rower is required to pay £2 every time they row.
If you would like to join LRGC, please contact our Membership Secretary Kate Sturgess for more information or to request a membership form (including current members):
For a gift aid donation contact Kath Gigg:
We run both club rowing and competitive rowing throughout the year. Our rowing programme is run by our Captains through Teamsnap (a mobile phone app and website) to which you will be invited to join by email shortly after your membership has been received.
All rowers book their availability to row for midweek, Saturday or Sunday, whether for club or competitive rowing by going on to teamsnap and registering your availability next to your name. Please note your availability must be registered 72hrs prior to the day you wish to row.
Those wishing to compete in Intraclub races must also register their availability on Teamsnap.
Once you have registered your availability to row on a specific date you will then be notified by email (by the captains) giving in advance, boat, timing, crew and cox. You will also be emailed if rowing is cancelled.
- Always arrive at least thirty minutes before your row.
- Always dress appropriately for the weather, bring lots of layers as necessary and bring water to drink.
- Always advise your cox if you have any health, injury problems and take any advice he/she may give.
- Buoyancy aids are always available should you wish to wear one, please ask your cox.
- Please don't hesitate to contact the Rowing Captains (go to contacts page) for any advice and if you wish to be considered to train as a Competitive "Squad Rower".
The club has a training programme which your captain can advise you about including dryland training using Concept 2 rowing machines and weights.
We have a strong committed Competitive Rowing Squad, with a full Regatta Programme.
We have a strong junior rowing section for young people run by the Club's Youth Captain/Coach (go to contacts page).
Please register your rowing availability with your Junior Captain/Coach.
We have two groups of rowers: the 14's and under "Younger Group" and the 14's and over "Older Group".
- Buoyancy aids must be worn by all under l6yr rowers.
- Please always advise the Junior Captain/Coach if you have any health or injury problems and take any advice that you receive.
- Youth rowers have the opportunity to compete in Regattas.
- Young people over 16 years of age may be selected to row with adult teams as appropriate.
Cornish Sea Skiffs are light, agile, fifteen foot, sea rowing boats ideal for young people to to learn to row and a great way to have fun, keep fit, and adventure out into the sea.
Lyme Regis Gig Club has two Cornish Sea Skiffs, Gale Force and Storm Force and we usually row from the end of Victoria Pier on The Cobb, as weather permits.
Juniors from the age of eight to twelve and their parents are welcome to join the Sea Skiff crew.
- Buoyancy aids must be worn by all sea skiffers and please bring appropriate cloathing including a sun hat/ & lotion if its sunny and water to drink.
- Please advise the Sea Skiff Captain if crew members have any health or injury problems and take any advice that you receive.
- The parents and guardians of sea skiffers are asked to assist with the program by joining the shore party while their juniors are rowing and provide help more generally if needs arise.
- If you'd like to join the crew, please register your interest in Cornish Sea Skiff rowing with Sea Skiff Captain - Diana Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lyme Regis Gig Club is here for all who love the exhilirating sport of Cornish Pilot Gig racing and sea rowing, whether that be ashore or afloat.
The Club welcomes social members as a part of our big team and who would like to participate in our activities and help develop the club. There's always lots to do.
With 197 members of all ages, the Club is a dynamic, fun place to meet people and get actively involved a sport that brings together communities throughout the South West and beyond. Please contact Kate at email@example.com for further information and to join Lyme Regis Gig Club as a social member..