Welcome to all new members, whether competitive or social, we hope you will enjoy all the Gig Club has to offer.
The process for joining the gig club as a new rower is as follows:
- We offer a Learn to Row programme for new rowers to get the basics and build your confidence in the boats. £30 five-part Learn to Row course. Each progressive 2-hour session will give you a solid grounding in rowing technique, learning to row as a team, recognition of weather, tides, hazards etc and an introduction to the rowing exercises we use in on-water training sessions.
One of the five sessions includes a induction to our gym, shows you correct technique on one of our rowing machines and also takes you through useful exercises to keep yourselves fit for rowing.
- On completion of the course, you will be invited to join the club as a full rowing member.
To register your interest contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Running of the Club
A club is only as strong as its membership, and it is the intention of the Lyme Regis Gig Club to make membership available to all, whether they be Social or Rowing members. However, with nearly 200 members, organising rowing schedules, gym workouts, gig maintenance, coxing duties, painting the gig shed, running fundraisers etc is an enormous amount of work, all done on a voluntary basis: nobody gets paid for the support they provide.
Therefore, all members will now be expected to contribute in some way. To spread the load, everyone will be asked to indicate which of the following 3 teams they would like to join when they renew or apply for membership.
- Admin, Finance & Fundraising
- Operations, communications & social events
These are the sort of tasks you can expect to help with: the list is indicative only and by no means exhaustive!
Admin, Finance and Fundraising
- Organising and helping at the jumble sale or other fundraising event
- collecting row and gym fees on a daily or weekly basis
- managing the sponsorship programme
- helping with grant applications and monitoring delivery of goods.
Operations, Communications and Social Events
- Preparing rotas
- Coxing on a regular basis
- Organising and /or helping with social events as required
- Compiling and issuing a regular newsletter
- Organising and/or assisting with ongoing and annual maintenance of the gigs
- Organising and assisting with the upkeep of the gig shed, cage, gym etc.
You may help in more than one team – all help is needed and gratefully received. For more info please talk to the secretary or treasurer Kath Gigg: email@example.com
Lyme Regis Gig Club offers six catagories of membership:
- Adult rower 21 years of age and older @ £80.00pa
- Part year adult membership - 6 months (from 1st October to 31st March) @ £40.00 or 3 months (from 1st January to 31st March) £20.00
- Cornish Pilot Gig Association visiting member only @ £10.00pa
- Social member - Non Rower @ £20.00pa
- Junior rower between 12 and 20 years of age @ £20.00pa
- Sea Skiff rower between 8 and 12 years of age @ £10.00pa
Membership runs from April 1st to March 31st. Unless you have taken our Learn to Row course (see above) there is an additional £15.00 'one off' joining administration charge for adult rowers; if your membership lapses you will need to pay this again. Each adult full member is required to pay £2 every time they row and juniors, £1.
If you would like to join LRGC, please contact our Membership Secretary Kate Sturgess for more information or to request a membership form (including current members): firstname.lastname@example.org
For a gift aid donation contact Kath Gigg: email@example.com
We run both club rowing and competitive rowing throughout the year. Our rowing programme is run by our Captains through Teamsnap (a mobile phone app and website) to which you will be invited to join by email shortly after your membership has been received.
Please note your availability must be registered one week prior to the day you wish to row.
Those wishing to compete in Intraclub races must also register their availability on Teamsnap.
Once you have registered your availability to row on a specific date you will then be notified by email (by the captains) giving in advance, boat, timing, crew and cox. You will also be emailed if rowing is cancelled.
- Always arrive at least twenty minutes before your row.
- Always dress appropriately for the weather, bring lots of layers as necessary and bring water to drink.
- Always advise your cox if you have any health, injury problems and take any advice he/she may give.
- Buoyancy aids are always available should you wish to wear one, please ask your cox.
- Please don't hesitate to contact the Rowing Captains (go to contacts page) for any advice and if you wish to be considered to train as a Competitive "Squad Rower".
The club has a training programme which your captain can advise you about including dryland training using Concept 2 rowing machines and weights.
We have a strong committed Competitive Rowing Squad, with a full Regatta Programme.
We have a strong junior rowing section for young people run by the Club's Youth Captain/Coach (go to contacts page).
Please register your rowing availability with your Junior Captain/Coach.
We have two groups of rowers: the 14's and under "Younger Group" and the 14's and over "Older Group".
- Buoyancy aids must be worn by all under l6yr rowers.
- Please always advise the Junior Captain/Coach if you have any health or injury problems and take any advice that you receive.
- Youth rowers have the opportunity to compete in Regattas.
- Young people over 16 years of age may be selected to row with adult teams as appropriate.
Cornish Sea Skiffs are light, agile, fifteen foot, sea rowing boats ideal for young people to to learn to row and a great way to have fun, keep fit, and adventure out into the sea.
Lyme Regis Gig Club has two Cornish Sea Skiffs, Gale Force and Storm Force and we usually row from the end of Victoria Pier on The Cobb, as weather permits.
Juniors from the age of eight to twelve and their parents are welcome to join the Sea Skiff crew.
- Buoyancy aids must be worn by all sea skiffers and please bring appropriate cloathing including a sun hat/ & lotion if its sunny and water to drink.
- Please advise the Sea Skiff Captain if crew members have any health or injury problems and take any advice that you receive.
- The parents and guardians of sea skiffers are asked to assist with the program by joining the shore party while their juniors are rowing and provide help more generally if needs arise.
- If you'd like to join the crew, please register your interest in Cornish Sea Skiff rowing with Sea Skiff Captain - Diana Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lyme Regis Gig Club is here for all who love the exhilirating sport of Cornish Pilot Gig racing and sea rowing, whether that be ashore or afloat.
The Club welcomes social members as a part of our big team and who would like to participate in our activities and help develop the club. There's always lots to do.
With 197 members of all ages, the Club is a dynamic, fun place to meet people and get actively involved a sport that brings together communities throughout the South West and beyond. Please contact Kate at email@example.com for further information and to join Lyme Regis Gig Club as a social member..